GRWG Web Meeting 2012-07-19
GSICS Web Meeting on Inter-Calibration of AVHRR and GHRSST-GSICS interaction
- Tiejun Chang - Bias analysis and correction of Metop/AVHRR IR channel using AVHRR-IASI inter-comparison
- Xingming Liang - AVHRR, MODIS, VIIRS Radiance Monitoring in MICROS and GSICS help to SST- Postponed due to technical difficulties
- Yukio Kurihara - Midnight Calibration Error (MCE) Correction for SST products at MSC/JMA
- Gary Wick - Overview of GHRSST Products and Processes
- Jon Mittaz - Update on the calibration of the thermal IR channels of AVHRR
EUMETSAT: Tim Hewison (Chair), Marianne Koenig, Rob Roebeling, Bartolomeo Viticchie
JMA: Masaya Takahashi, Tetsuo Kurita, Yukio Kurihara, Yoshihiko Tahara, Kenji Date, Hiroaki Tsuchiyama, Ryuichiro Nakayama, Toshi Kurino
KMA: Dohyeong Kim, Wonseok Lee, Sun Mi
NOAA: Tiejun Change, Gary Wick, Fred Wu, Fangfang Yu, Jon Mittaz
It was decided that it would be useful to compare the GHRSST Single Sensor Error Statistics (SSES), derived relative to buoy observations, with the GSICS Corrections and uncertainties, derived relative to IASI. This could be done initially for the IR channels of the GEO imagers processed by GHRSST. This will be discussed further at the GSICS Users Workshop if possible - otherwise at another dedicated web meeting, when Xingming Liang/Alex Ignatov can present their MICROS analysis of AVHRR.
This suggest was discussed further with representatives of the GHRSST community at IGARSS2012 (Alexander Ignatov and Pete Minnet). They felt the SSES to be too system specific for such a comparison to generate meaningful results. It may be possible to compare these results with those from MICROS using double-differencing. Furthermore, as the SST retrievals are trained empirically using in situ buoy data, applying GSICS Corrections to the L1 data will not have any direct impact on the end products. However, they were interested in discussing other ideas for future cooperation between the groups at the GSICS Users Workshop - or other fora.