GRWG/GDWG Web Meeting 2012-04-17
GSICS Web Meeting on GSICS Procedure for Product Acceptance
- Aleksandar Jelenak (NOAA) - GSICS product catalog
- Fangfang Yu (GCC/NOAA) Update on the GSICS Procedure of Product Acceptance (GPPA)
Guest Chair: Fangfang Yu (GCC/NOAA)
CMA: Xiuqing ("Scott") Hu, Yong Zhang
CNES: Bertrand Fougnie
EUMETSAT: Tim Hewison, Sebastien Wagner, Marianne Koenig, Rob Roebeling, Bartolomeo Viticchie, Pete Miu
JMA: Masaya Takahashi, Tetsuro Kurita, Yoshihiko Tahara, Kenji Date, Hioaki Tsuchiyama, Ruichior Nakayama
NOAA: Fangfang Yu, Aleksandar Jelenak, Xingming Liang
Debut of GSICS product catalog
Aleksandar Jelenak debuted the central catalog of all GSICS products (http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/GCC/ProductCatalog.php
), which will be implemented that GSICS GCC website and GSICS portal at WMO once completed. The catalog displays some general information of each product, including the product type, algorithm type, data producer, maturity level, monitored instrument, reference instrument, product version, data coverage, docs URL and data URL. The data URL points to the THREEDS data server pages and the docs URL will be linked to the relevant webpage/documents created by each product provider. Alekandar also displayed the searching and sorting functions in this catalog to help the users to find the product quickly. Due to the security constraints imposed at the GCC server, the content in this catalog is currently updated using the GoogleDoc
file accessible to product providers. This catalog received very favorable comments during the meeting.
Update of the GSICS Procedure of Product Acceptance (GPPA)
Fangfang Yu first reviewed the GPPA process, and then reported the current status of the five products in the demo version and the impediments from the demo to the pre-operational phase. It is found that limited feedback from the potential users may be the main reason causing the stuck of the process. A very good discussion was held in the meeting on the potential resolution to expedite the process. Some comments are summarized as followed.
Sharing the experience/source in data processing within the GSICS dev-group
- It is strongly recommended that the product provider publish the methodology (ATBD) and product quality analysis (traceability with uncertainty analysis) in the peer-review journals.
- Critical review from the Level2 data users is very important.
- Any feedback from external users, negative or positive, is very precious and well appreciated
- More reminders to the reviewers could be helpful to ensure timely feedback.
- Another user workshop venue such as in the American Meteorological Society (AMS)/Calcon meeting may be considered to attract users at different countries. It is recommended that the Exec Panel discuss the options.
- The GRHSST community was again considered as a potential users.
Action: T. Hewison to contact GRHSST secretariat to solicit potential users
- In case of lack any product users feedback within a certain time range (~ one year), an exempt clause may be needed to expedite the process. Yet it should be very cautious to apply this exemption.
Action: F. Yu to propose GPPA changes for approval of Exec Panel
- In a follow-up discussion, it was felt we should consider developing strategies for systematic validation of GSICS products - both in L1 and L2 space, internally, and in cooperation with external partners. It is recommended that the Exec Panel consider this.
We also discussed about Sebastien Wagners proposal on how to share the experience/source in data processing, especially in processing and using the quality indicators embedded at the level1b data of the common reference instruments. These kinds of valuable information/experience are strongly encouraged (appreciated!) to share thru emails among the GSICS community, and may be considered to summarize in the instrument info Kiosk at the GCC website.