GRWG/GDWG Web Meeting 2011-11-17
GSICS Web Meeting on Kalpana Calibration
- Pradeep Kumar Thapliyal (ISRO) Inter-calibration of Kalpana IR & WV channels uisng IASI
- Haifeng Qia (NOAA) Early results from comparisons of GOES visible channel with GOME2
- Tim Hewison (EUMETSAT) - EUMETSAT's strategy to inter-calibrate Meteosat archive using HIRS - Postponed.
- Fangfang Yu (NOAA) Meeting Report of the Discussion on Users Comments with Current GSICS Products
- Tim Hewison (EUMETSAT) - Announcements
CMA: Li Yuan
EUMETSAT: Tim Hewison (Chair),Sebastien Wagner, Marianne Koenig
ISRO: Pradeep K. Thapliyal, Munn V. Shukla, P.K. Pal, Kiran Kumar?
JMA: Arata Okuyama, Yoshihiko Tahara, Kenji Date, Ryuichiro Nakayama, Yuki Kosaka, Hiroaki Tsuchiyama
KMA: Dohyeong Kim
NOAA: Fangfang Yu, Haifeng Qian, Fred Wu
Pradeep Thapliyal (ISRO) gave a presentation on two different methods of analysing the calibration of Kalpana - using AIRS and IASI as references. Good progress was reported towards implementing an algorithm consistent with that used by other GSICS members for the inter-calibration of other geostationary imagers and ISRO intend to start generating results routinely in the coming months. Encouragement was given to investigate the midnight calibration anomaly following the appraoch developed by Fangfang Yu (NOAA) and to conduct an uncertainty analysis of the inter-calibration, following the method reported by Tim Hewison (EUMETSAT). Advice was also provided on the aquisition of IASI data for real-time and re-analysis processing of data.
Haifeng Qia (NOAA) provided an update on the analysis of GOME2 hyperspectral data to investigate the impact of different Spectral Response Functions (SRFs) when inter-calibrating sensors in the visible band (AVHRR, GOES and MODIS). This can introduce a bias of ~2% in the reflectivity of Deep Convective Clouds, which can be corrected with different levels of uncertainty for different instrument pairs, depending on their SRF differences. He also showed a seasonal cycle in the reflectivity of the Libyan desert site.