GRWG Microwave Sub-Group Web Meeting 2015-09-16
GSICS Web Meeting on MW Subgroup
1. Introduction, review of any ongoing/action items
- Ralph Ferraro (20 min)
- Joint CEOS and GSICS Activities and meetings?- Cheng-Zhi Zou and Xialong Dong
- Where do we stand on GSICS MW products? - Manik Bali, Tim Hewison, and Ralph
2. Planning for the GSICS User's Workshop (at EUMETSAT Satellite Conference) Manik, Tim, etc. (20 min)
- Expectations from users
3. Science Updates (15 min each)
4. High points from the 183 GHz workshop in Paris
- Vinia Mattioli (10 min)
5. Wrap up and Next meeting (5 min)
Chair: Ralph Ferraro
EUMETSAT: Tim Hewison, Vinia Mattioli, Karsten Fenning (DWD)
KMA: Jun Park
NOAA: Manik Bali, Cheng-Zhi Zou, Wenze Yang, Isaac Moradi
General Agenda Items
- Status of joint GSICS and CEOS MW coordination (Cheng-Zhi, Xialong) - The tentative plan is to leverage the IGARSS 2016 meeting (Beijing, July 2016) to have these two groups meet. Xialong has agreed to fund Cheng-Zhi's visit; awaiting NESDIS/STAR approval to move forward with this.
- Where do we stand on GSICS MW products (Tim, Manik) -Lengthy discussion that included input from Tim's presentation at the GSICS Executive panel meeting and Manik's at the GDWG/GRWG meeting. Main concerns are still the calibration standard and what are the user requirements. We may make some progress forward after the GUW discussions.
- Planning for the GUW (Tim, Manik, Ralph) - To date, only a few user responses to the questionnaire; GSICS MW Sub group members encouraged to fill out and distribute to potential users. Sante Laviola (ISAC-CNR) will present at GUW as a beta-user; Karsten will also present as a MW users; Ralph will summarize the survey results (remotely) while Tim will lead the in-room discussion.
- GPM XCAL Update (Rachel) - The latest and greatest from the X-CAL (which met in June) were presented. Rachel continues to serve as a liaison between the two groups. She noted that Wes Berg will need chair the X-CAL (Tom Wilheit is more retired now). Also, a nice monitoring web site - http://rain.atmos.colostate.edu/XCAL.
- ATMS and SAPHIR comparisons (Isaac) - A nice comparison between SAPHIR and ATMS was presented. They agree quite well. Independent comparisons with radiosondes and GPS-RO performed as well.
- Summary of 183 GHz Workshop (Vinia) - The workshop was held in Paris, France (June 29-30). Goal was to identify lingering differences between satellite measurements and simulations. Working groups focused on different aspects of the biases, with the main conclusions being undetected clouds, surface contamination (lowest peaking channels), spectroscopy and instrument errors as the main causes of the differences.
- Ralph to contact Wes Berg (new XCAL chair) about developing stronger links between the two groups.
- Cheng-Zhi and Xialong to continue to formalize plans for the GSICS/CEOS interactions
- Ralph, Tim, Manik to discuss next phases of GSICS MW products (after the GUW and prior to next telecon).
- Ralph to schedule next telecon in the Dec/Jan time frame. Dave Walker (NIST) has volunteered to give a presentation.
- 02 Sep 2015