GSICS Operations Plan

Actions Identifier Format

The following format was agreed at 2016 GSICS annual meeting.
Format: GsicsId.yyyy[ mmdd. | .agendaItemId. ]actionCount: 

  Valid GsicsId (update when needed): 
    [ GDWG | GRWG | GWG | GEP | GCC | GIR | GVNIR | GMW | GUV ]

  agendaItemId is for annual meeting agenda item identification (e.g.1a).

  mmdd is all other meetings indicates the month and day (e.g. 0118)

  Examples:   
    GDWG.2016.5d.1  - GDWG action 1 at the annual GRWG/GDWG meeting
    GIR.2016.2c.5       - GRWG action5 at IR sub group session in the annual GRWG/GDWG meeting
    GWG.20160118.3  - GRWG & GDWG action 3 at the web meeting on 18 January 2016
    GEP.2016.1a.2      - GSICS EP action 2 at the EP meeting
    GCC.20161102.12 - GCC action 12 at the webex meeting on 2 November 2016

Actions from 2016 and after are available on the GCC website here

1. Governance/ Progress meetings, reporting and action tracking

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
Joint07_01R GDWG is encouraged finding a common web meeting tool
*EUMETSAT seems to be willing to provide their WebEx service.* (go to action)
Main.GDWG   closed edit
EP-10.27 Circulate the proposed GSICS fact sheet to Executive Panel members for comments. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Oct 2011 open edit
EP-12.01 EP Chair to establish a Task Force to review issues and propose actions towards improving accessibility of in-situ observations of test sites (go to action) Main.EPChair(Goldberg) 01 Nov 2012 open edit
EP-12.13 EP Chairman and WMO to encourage EP members to volunteer as EP vice-chair in advance of EP-13 (go to action) Main.EPChair(Goldberg)+WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Oct 2012 open edit
EP-12.19 WMO (J. Lafeuille) to circulate to the EP and GRWG and GDWG and GCC, a questionnaire to seek input regarding the long-term Vision of GSICS. (In advance of the 1st WEBEX meeting on 1-08), with a view to at least discuss a draft vision at EP-13. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Jul 2012 open edit
EP-12.20 WMO (Jer\xF4me Lafeuille) to circulate the draft outline of the revised GSICS Implementation Plan as discussed by EP-12, for review. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 15 Jun 2012 open edit
EP-12.21 All Panel members to review and comment on the draft outline of the GSICS Implementation Plan (go to action) Main.EPmembers 31 Jul 2012 open edit
EP-12.25 CNES and NIST to notify their new representation in GSICS (go to action) Main.CNES+NIST   open edit
GUW-13.01 GRWG Chair (Tim Hewison) considers formation of new UV GSICS subgroup with input from NASA Langley TEMPO group. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Sep 2013 closed edit
GUW-13.01 Executive Panel to discuss if the GSICS scope should be expanded to include the operational calibration alerting system. (go to action) Main.Exec, Main.Panel 01 Jun 2014 open edit
GWG_13.8 NASA to provide CLARREO papers to GCC for distribution on the GSICS wiki. (go to action) Main.Exec, Main.Panel 01 Jun 2014 open edit

2. Enhancing Outreach and User Interaction Inform GSICS community & beyond and seek feedback

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG06_16 Compile a list of existing activities concerning composite satellite imagery
- See CompositeSatelliteImagery (go to action)
AllGPRCs_to_EUMETSAT(Hewison) 01 Jun 2011 closed edit
Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG06_17 Find out time overlaps between geostationary satellites (commissioning and operational periods), find out about the availability of such data and publish this information on the GSICIS Wiki
- EUMETSAT response (2015-07-13) http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Data/DataDelivery/EUMETSATDataCentre/index.html
- Action Modified in 2015: Jerome will support this action through OSCAR.
- Action transferred on 2016-01-13 to GDWG, who will coordinate it. (go to action)
GDWG.Chair 01 Dec 2011 open edit
Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG07_08 X. Liang to present the NWP bias monitoring for ATSR and MODIS in the next GRWG meeting in 2013
- Xingming presented results for MODIS at 2014 GRWG meeting. Plans to include ATSR have been dropped, so we close the action. (go to action)
Main.NOAA(Liang 01 Mar 2013 closed edit
EP-10.18 NOAA (Mitch Goldberg) and EUMETSAT (Tim Hewison) to liaise with the SCOPE-CM Pilot Projects (1), (3) and (5) respectively, in order to better understand their needs and facilitate the finalization of the Statement of Needs.
- Propose we close this action, as requirements now taken up by new SCOPE-CM projects. [TimHewison, 2015-01-23] (go to action)
Main.EPChair+GRWGChair 01 Aug 2011 open edit
EP-11.03 WMO to facilitate discussions with ECMWF and ROSHYDROMET/SRC (A. Uspensky) Planeta to explore potential monitoring of MTVSA-GY data to help characterize sensor anomalies. (Update: Discussions held with ECMWF in March 2011. But Roshydromet was not there. Keep open until CGMS-40 EP-13) (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Mar 2012 open edit
EP-11.07 Invite rep. of climate community (e.g SCOPE-CM EP Chair and GEWEX-RP Chair) for an Executive Session to be organized in conjunction with the next Users' Workshop. Update: Being planned (go to action) Main.EPChair(Goldberg)+WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Aug 2012 open edit
EP-12.02 to update the GPPA in including two exempt clauses with a view to allow proceeding with pre-operational phase (go to action) Main.GCC(Yu) 01 Jul 2012 closed edit
EP-12.03 EUMETSAT, NOAA and JMA are urged to complete the necessary steps to submit their LEO-GEO IR product to the GPPA for pre-operational status in advance of the fourth GSICS Users\x92 Workshop and WMO CBS (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT+NOAA+JMA 01 Sep 2012 closed edit
EP-12.08 GCC to consider the 53 users that registered under potential \x93betatesters\x94 and seek their active involvement (go to action) Main.GCC(Yu) 30 Jun 2012 open edit
EP-12.10 USGS to add the Russian Federation sites of Petergof and and Voeikovo to the USGS catalogue of worldwide test sites for sensor characterization. (go to action) Main.USGS(Chander) 30 Jun 2012 open edit
EP-12.11 WGCV Chair to contact A. Uspensky to investigate suitability of Petergof and and Voeikovo test sites to support CEOS Cal/Val activities. (go to action) Main.WGCV, Main.Chair, Main.(Stensaas) 30 Jun 2012 open edit
EP-12.14 GRWG to invite ISCCP to present their findings at next joint meeting (2012-09-01)
- ISCCP were invited, but declined. (go to action)
Main.GRWG 01 Sep 2012 closed edit
EP-12.16 IMD to request USGS (G. Chander) include the Jaisalmer test site in the USGS catalogue of worldwide test sites for sensor characterization (go to action) Main.IMD 30 Jun 2012 open edit
EP-12.18 ESA (Bojan Bojkov ) to report at GRWG on its survey on the state of the art for geolocation issues, and on ESA activity on this subject
- The action is still open as the implementation of the project addressing this issue was delayed by nearly 18m due to the 2012 ESA ministerial. I however expect to close this action by the end of the year and I will be very happy to report about it within GSICS. [B. Bojkov 2014-02-20] (go to action)
Main.ESA(Bojkov) 01 Mar 2013 open edit
EP-12.23 NOAA (Fuzhong Weng) to explore possibility to hold a GSICS session during the NOAA 2013 Satellite Conference (8-12 April 2013, Miami) (go to action) Main.NOAA(Weng) 01 Nov 2012 closed edit
GUW-13.01 Tim Hewison to send Mat Gunshor the EUMETSAT documents on the change of METEOSAT radiance definition in 2008. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Jun 2013 closed edit
GUW-13.1 All GPRCs to consider inviting members of IMD/ROSH as visiting scientists to help implement GEO-LEO IR ATBD and communicate possibilities to EP Chair by 1 July 2013 . (go to action) TimHewison 01 Jun 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.49 KMA is encouraged to continue developing their GPRC website and take into account the agreed minimum content requirements (go to action) ManikBali   open edit

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
Joint07_07 Invite GRHSST to a web meeting, where Tiejun Chang will present his inter-calibration work on AVHRR and where GRWG can seedback from GRHSST (go to action) Main.GRWG(Hewison+Chang)   closed edit
Joint07_3R GRHSST is invited to review one or more of the current GSICS GEO IR products and to provide feedback to GRWG (update: ongoing with LEO IR products. Plans to work on GEO IR products in 2013), POC is XingMing Liang (go to action) Main.NOAA(Liang) 01 Mar 2013 late edit
EP-10.30 ISRO to nominate points of contacts for the GSICS working groups (GRWG and GDWG). (go to action) Main.ISRO_EP_Rep(Kumar) 01 Aug 2011 open edit
EP-12.12 WMO to invite representatives of the climate community (SCOPE-CM EP Chair J. Bates and Secretary L. Schueller) and to GEWEX Radiation panel (Chair Chris Kummerov and vice-chair Joerg Schulz) for an Executive Session to be organized in conjunction with the next Users\x92 Workshop. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 30 Jun 2012 open edit

4. Consolidating Infrastructure and Operational Practices Specify, organize, archive and disseminate GSICS data and information

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG06_19 Update GPPA to reflect the need of a delta correction due to a migrating reference Update GPPA or Guidance to Product Procedure (go to action) Main.GCC 01 Sep 2013 open edit
GDWG05_36 Check with CF committee if there is any progress on the standard names submission. (go to action) Main.GDWG, Main.Chair(Jelenak) 01 Jun 2012 closed edit
GRWG05_38 The GRWG is required to inform the GDWG on what GSICS products are required to be archived.
- All GSICS Products should be archived indefinitely - on GSICS servers, or other archives is up to those who generate them. But input data do not need to be archived by GSICS as they are archived elsewhere and can be recreated.
(go to action)
Main.GRWG, Main.Chair(Hewison) 01 Jan 2012 closed edit
GRWG05_40 EUMETSAT server needs update to the URL path from msg2-mviri-metopa-iasi-demo-rac to rac-msg2-mviri-metopa-iasi-demo (also check the RAC URL path duplicates as reported by the Unidata\x92s ToolsUI). (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 01 Jan 2012 closed edit
Joint07_05 Reports on what events can be made available from a legal point of view
- Input received from several GPRCs will be reported at 2014 GDWG meeting (go to action)
AllGPRCs(lead_by_Roebeling) 01 Mar 2013 closed edit
EP-12.05 Each GPRC to consider implementing the near real time distribution of both the operational calibration information and the corrected calibration information, as part of the L1 data formats (go to action) AllGPRCs 01 Sep 2012 open edit
EP-12.09 Each GPRC to implement the agreed netCDF format (go to action) AllGPRCs 01 Sep 2012 closed edit

5. Product Development and Delivery (1) Current IR, GEO-LEO IR: Bring GEO-LEO IR inter-calibration to operational status

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
Joint06_01 Recommend a single AIRS flag file to be adopted by all AIRS users (go to action) Main.NOAA 01 Dec 2011 open edit
GRWG06_18 Document the difference between IASI on Metop-A and IASI on Metop-B (Within one year after Metop-B launch)
- Presented in 2013 EUMETSAT Conference proceedings by Coppens et al. (go to action)
Main.CNES+EUMETSAT 01 Sep 2013 closed edit
GRWG06_20 The CMA plans and progress in the GMS-5 reprocessing should be addressed in a future web meeting (go to action) Main.CMA(Hu) 01 Dec 2011 open edit
GRWG06_21 Update GRWG on the JMA plans concerning GMS-5 reprocessing (go to action) Main.JMA 01 Dec 2011 closed edit
Joint07_13 Invite someone from IASI TEC to update on recent findings of Metop-B IASI (go to action) Main.GRWGChair, Main.(Hewison) 01 Mar 2013 closed edit
GRWG07_07 Investigate use of IASI observations for creating spectral band conversions for broad-band instruments and consider respective requirements; report back to GRWG
- Reported at 2014 Annual Meeting (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT(Hewison) 01 Dec 2012 closed edit
EP-10.13 NASA to designate an expert from the NASA/JPL AIRS team to participate in GRWG activities on traceability. (go to action) Main.NASA 01 Aug 2012 open edit
EP-12.15 NIST to review with Raju Datla the status and need of developing a draft vocabulary, as part of a guide on uncertainty for GSICS, and report to EP-13 (2012-10-01) (go to action) Main.NIST(Shirley) 01 Oct 2012 open edit
EP-12.17 GRWG Chair to report on GSICS traceability approach to the WGCV, with a view to seek feedback from WGCV.
- Done at WGCV plenary in Feb 2014 (go to action)
Main.GRWG, Main.Chair(Hewison) 01 Oct 2012 closed edit
GWM-13.10.1 Tim Hewison to circulate a proposed list of variables for the GEO-LEO hyperspectral IR case in time for discussion at the next annual GRWG meeting. (To score choice of reference instrument)
- Closed by email 2014-03-12 (go to action)
Main.GRWG, Main.Chair(Hewison) 24 Mar 2014 closed edit

6. Product Development and Delivery (1) Current IR, LEO-LEO IR: Bring GEO-LEO IR inter-calibration to operational status

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG07_09 Invite A. Heidinger to give a presentation on the possibility to use the AVHRR Patmos-X dataset to support archive recalibration (go to action) Main.GRWG(Hewison) 01 Mar 2013 closed edit

7. Product Development and Delivery (2) Heritage instruments: Bring GEO-LEO IR inter-calibration to operational status

8. Product Development and Delivery (3) Current VIS/NIR: Bring GEO-LEO VIS/NIR Algorithm development/Implementation, Evaluate GEO-LEO Vis/NIR satellite Instrument Calibration

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG05_04/05 Review error propagation example and consider how it could apply their solar channel calibration method
This was provided by Bertrand Fougnie in several presentations, including one at the LunarCalibrationWorkshop - [TimHewison, 2015-01-23] (go to action)
Main/GRWG/Solar.PIs 01 Mar 2011 closed edit
GRWG05_08 Investigate the possibility to supply GEO data over desert sites to the SADE database
- reassigned to CNES 2015-03-15 - Awaiting their input (go to action)
Main.CNES 01 Mar 2011 late edit
GRWG06_04 Outline ATBD for the sun-glint method (go to action) Main.NOAA(Heidinger) 01 Mar 2011 open edit
GRWG07_02 Outline ATBD for Rayleigh Scattering
- Presented at Web Meeting (go to action)
Main.CNES, Main.(Fougnie) 01 Dec 2012 closed edit
GRWG06_08 Outline ATBD for the desert method (go to action) Main.CNES(Henry) 01 Jun 2011 open edit
GRWG06_23 Provide feedback to GRWG on data availability of the ER2 under-flights to be conducted in June 2011 (Update: data is available. Contact Dr. Changyong Cao (changyong.cao@noaa.gov) or Dr. B. Iacovazzi (bob.Iacovazzi@noaa.gov) if interested (go to action) Main.GCC 01 Mar 2012 closed edit
GRWG06_25 Improved characterisation of desert sites, provide information on progress to GRWG (Update: on-going effort) (go to action) Main.GRWG(Doelling+Wu+Xiong+Chander) 01 Jun 2011 open edit
Joint07_08 Provide a progress report on the WGCV focus on desert sites and Rayleigh scattering, preferably by a web meeting in 2012
- Provided at Web Meetings in Nov and Dec 2012. (go to action)
Main.CNES(Fougnie) 01 Dec 2012 closed edit
GRWG07_03 Extract the tropical DCCs from the MODIS archive and make that data available to all GPRCs, data issues to be discussed with the Data Working Group (go to action) Main.NASA(Doelling)+GDWGChair(Jelenak) 01 Sep 2012 open edit
GRWG07_04 Clarify the availability of SCIAMACHY data with ESA and KNMI and report back to GRWG (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT(Roebeling)+WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Sep 2012 closed edit
GRWG07_05 Enquire about lunar observations obtained with SCIAMACHY (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT(Roebeling) 01 Sep 2012 closed edit
GRWG07_06 extract ray-matched SCIAMACHY data (for geostationary satellites) from archive and make the dataset available to GRWG, liaise with GDWG on format issues. (go to action) Main.NASA(Doelling)+GDWG 01 Dec 2012 open edit
EP-12.04 GRWG to investigate feasibility of intercalibration of reflected solar band instruments (including GOME-1, GOME-2, SCIAMACHY) with participation of ESA
- This was addressed during a web meeting and will be followed up within the UVSubGroup - [TimHewison, 2015-01-23] (go to action)
Main.GRWG 01 Mar 2013 closed edit
EP-12.06 WMO to convey to USGS the appreciation of GSICS regarding the provision of a lunar irradiance computation service based on the ROLO model and the expectation that this service will be maintained, will be documented in accordance with GSICS principles, and that the possibility be explored of providing the updated ROLO model itself to the community. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Nov 2013 open edit
EP-12.07 NIST to report on discussions on interagency R&D effort to improve the lunar model to meet the SI traceable absolute calibration accuracy goal, which should ultimately lead to an upgraded version of the ROLO lunar irradiance model. (go to action) Main.NIST(Shirly) 01 Nov 2012 open edit

9. Product Development and Delivery (4) \x96MW Microwave: LEO-LEO MW Algorithm development/Implementation

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG07_10 S. Gu to report back to GRWG on the possibility to inter-calibrate the microwave imager MRWI with one other instrument of the international constellation and to consider submitting this to GSICS product acceptance (go to action) Main.CMA(Gu) 01 Mar 2013 open edit
GRWG07_11 Follow up NOAA work regarding the microwave sounders and on the plans to submit this work to GSICS product acceptance, including review by GSICS microwave sub-group (go to action) Main.GCC(Yu) 01 Dec 2012 closed edit
GWM-13.08.1 Cheng-Zhi Zou and Fangfang Yu to consider setting up a dedicated meeting to review NOAA's demonstration product for the re-calibration of MSU/AMSU. (go to action) FangfangYu, Main.&, Main.Cheng-Zhi, Main.Zou 24 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWM-13.08.2 Cheng-Zhi Zou to arrange topic and date of the next meeting of the Microwave Sub-Group - tentatively in November 2013. (go to action) Main.Cheng-Zhi, Main.Zou 01 Dec 2014 closed edit

10.Instrument development/operations Calibration Best Practices

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
Joint06_04 Coordinate a special journal issue on solar calibration with the co-editor of the Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing (G. Chander) (go to action) Main.USGS(Chander)+EUMETSAT(Hewison) 02 Dec 2001 closed edit
Joint07_09 Check and provide comments to provide shortlist of instrument events to be logged (go to action) AllGPRCs 01 Mar 2013 open edit
Joint07_10 Propose an event logging procedure including standard
- Superseded by GRWG_14.25 (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT(Roebleing+Miu) 01 Mar 2013 closed edit
Joint07_11 propose a web based interface for event logging for GSICS
- Superseded by GRWG_14.25 and GRWG_14.26 (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT(Roebleing+Miu) 01 Mar 2013 closed edit
EP-12.22 GDWG and EUMETSAT/GDWG to define a controlled vocabulary for instruments events
- Superseded by GRWG_14.25 and GRWG_14.26 (go to action)
Main/GDWG+EUMETSAT.CDWG 01 Nov 2012 closed edit
EP-12.24 G. Chander, T. Hewison, X. Wu to include an introduction to GSICS in the preface of the special calibration issue of the IEEE transactions on geoscience and remote sensing (go to action) Main.Chander+Hewison+Wu 28 Feb 2014 closed edit

11.EP Actions decided in EP-14 [Tokyo, Japan, July-2013]

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
EP14.01 GCC, GDWG and GRWG to evaluate the relevance and implications of adding "calibration alert system" and a SNO and GEO-LEO collocation data to the GSICS portfolio, and report to the Executive Panel. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille)   open edit
Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
EP14.02 WMO (W. Zhang) to write to all GSICS participating agencies to communicate the importance of the data management aspects to enable GSICS to reach a fully operational maturity level. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Oct 2013 open edit
EP14.03 NOAA to consider nominating Dr Isaac Moradi as a member of GRWG (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Aug 2013 closed edit
EP14.04 JAXA to consider submitting the AMSR-2/AMSR-E intercomparison to the GPPA as a demonstration product. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Jan 2014 open edit
EP14.05 Roshydromet to communicate the details of their 2 cal/val sites (Petergof and Voeikovo) to the USGS for inclusion in the USGS list of cal/val sites. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Sep 2013 open edit
EP14.06 Roshydromet to contact the GCC (Larry Flynn, Lawrence.E.Flynn@noaa.gov ) for assistance on implementing the GSICS method for Electro-L/MSU-GS GEO-to-LEO IR intercalibration. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille)   open edit
EP14.07 Adrian Simmons (GCOS Steering Committee Chair) to draft a statement discussing the pros and cons of consolidating different instruments of a series in a single FCDR. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Sep 2013 open edit
EP14.08 NASA to present a paper about maturity levels of instrument calibration in support of re-processing, taking MODIS as an example, at a future web meeting of the Executive Panel (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille)   open edit
EP14.09 Jo Schmetz and Mitch Goldberg to draft a description of potential collocation criteria for GRUAN and satellite measurements (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 04 Jun 2020 open edit
EP14.10 GCC, GDWG and GRWG to prepare information material on the operational use of GSICS, for use at CBS-Ext.(14) (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 07 Aug 2019 open edit
EP14.11 WMO (W. Zhang) to confirm and implement as soon as possible the funding of open accessibility of the five papers selected by WMO in the IEEE TGRS special issue published in March 2013. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 03 Feb 2020 open edit
EP14.12 Jo Schmetz and Mitch Goldberg, as members of the scientific committee, to propose an invited talk at the joint WCRP-EUMETSAT Symposium on Climate Research and Earth Observation from Space (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Dec 2013 open edit
EP14.13 WMO (Jerome Lafeuille) to consolidate the outcome of the Executive Panel discussion on the GSICS vision in a draft “Vision of GSICS\xE2\x80, for review by EP members (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 03 Feb 2020 open edit
EP14.14 EP members to review the draft “Vision of GSICS to be circulated by WMO (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille)   open edit
EP14.15 The Chair (Mitch Goldberg) will discuss with NIST (Eric Shirley) to review the status and need of developing a draft vocabulary, as part of a guide on uncertainty for GSICS. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille)   open edit
EP14.16 NASA to develop a list of data that need to be produced during the pre- launch instrument characterization; this list shall be appended to the guidelines on best practice for pre-launch characterization. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 04 Jun 2020 open edit
EP14.17 WMO (Jerome Lafeuille) to circulate a draft outline of the future GSICS Operations Plan (document name still to be confirmed), populated with relevant contents of the current Implementation Plan, for review by EP members (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Dec 2013 open edit
EP14.18 Executive Panel members to review and comment the draft Operations Plan that will be circulated by WMO (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Jan 2014 open edit
EP14.19 The Chair (Mitch Goldberg) to invite Nigel Fox, Chair WGCV/IVOS, at a next EP meeting. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Feb 2014 open edit
EP14.20 WMO letter to WCRP/ISCCP to inform them of development including the GSICS catalogue and invite feedback (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Feb 2014 open edit
EP14.21 WMO to remind NIST, with the report of this EP-14 meeting, to notify their new representative in GSICS. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 03 Aug 2013 open edit
EP14.22 WMO (Jerome Lafeuille) to put the “architecture for climate monitoring from space\xE2\x80 on the agenda of EP-15 with a view to discuss the role of GSICS in the architecture. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Feb 2014 open edit
EP14.23 The GRWG Chair to describe the role of chair, emphasizing the moderator role, enabling, elevating/communicating issues to the appropriate parties. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Sep 2013 open edit
EP14.24 EP Chair and Secretariat to draft a description of the role of the EP Chair and circulate it to GSICS member organizations in order to call for nominations by fall 2013. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Sep 2013 open edit
EP14.25 Chair, WMO and CMA to determine the date of next face-to-face Executive Panel meeting, tentatively in the week preceding CGMS-42. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Feb 2014 open edit

12. EP Actions Carried over to EP-14 from the EP-13 Meeting [Lugano, Switzerland, Nov-2012 ].

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
EP-12.1 EP Chair to establish a Task Force to review issues and propose actions towards improving accessibility of in-situ observations of test sites (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Nov 2012 open edit
EP-12.3 EUMETSAT, NOAA and JMA are urged to complete the necessary steps to submit their LEO-GEO IR product to the GPPA for pre-operational status in advance of the fourth GSICS Users’ Workshop and WMO CBS (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Sep 2012 open edit
EP-12.5 Each GPRC to consider implementing the near real time distribution of both the operational calibration information and the corrected calibration information, as part of the L1 data formats. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Sep 2012 open edit
EP-12.6 WMO to convey to USGS the appreciation of GSICS regarding the provision of a lunar irradiance computation service based on the ROLO model and the expectation that this service will be maintained, will be documented in accordance with GSICS principles, and that the possibility be explored of providing the updated ROLO model itself to the community. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Nov 2013 open edit
EP-12.7 NIST (Eric Shirley) to report on discussions on interagency R&D effort to improve the lunar model to meet the SI traceable absolute calibration accuracy goal, which should ultimately lead to an upgraded version of the ROLO lunar irradiance model. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Nov 2012 open edit
EP-12.18 ESA (Bojan Bojkov ) to report at GRWG on its survey on the state of the art for geolocation issues, and on ESA activity on this subject (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Mar 2013 open edit
EP-12.22 GDWG and EUMETSAT/CDWG to define a controlled vocabulary for instruments events (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Nov 2012 open edit
EP-8.15 The Chairman (M. Goldberg) and Secretariat (J. Lafeuille) to set-up a bi-monthly Executive Panel teleconference. (The WEBEX system is available with WMO. Recommended time slot is 11:00 UTC (Summer) or 11:30 UTC (Winter), starting on 1/08/2012) (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Aug 2012 open edit
EP-9.1 ISRO and IMD to coordinate with GCC for the implementation of GEO-to-LEO algorithms by ISRO. (ISRO to contact Fred Wu and Fangfang Yu on NOAA side)
- Added IMD and re-assigned to Manik Bali, 2015-07-01 (go to action)
Main.Manik, Main.Bali 01 Dec 2012 open edit
EP-10.01 IMD (A.K. Sharma) with the assistance of GCC (Fangfang Yu) to get hold of the technical information on the GSICS Correction ATBD for GEO-LEO Infrared channels,and implement it for Kalpana (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Dec 2012 open edit
EP-10.13 NASA to designate an expert from the NASA/JPL AIRS team to participate in GRWG activities on traceability (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Aug 2012 open edit
EP-10.18 NOAA (Mitch Goldberg) and EUMETSAT (Tim Hewison) to liaise with the SCOPE-CM Pilot Projects (1), (3) and (5) respectively, in order to better understand their needs and facilitate the finalization of the Statement of Needs (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Aug 2012 open edit
EP-10.27 WMO (J. Lafeuille) to circulate the proposed GSICS fact sheet to Executive Panel members for comments. (go to action) Main.WMO(Lafeuille) 01 Oct 2012 open edit

13.GRWG-: Summary of New Actions Generated From 2013 Annual Meeting in Williamsburg, VA, USA

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GWG_13.1 All GPRCs to consider inviting members of IMD/ROSH as visiting scientists to help implement GEO-LEO IR ATBD and communicate possibilities to EP Chair by 1 July 2013. (go to action) Main.GPRC 01 Jul 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.2 EP Chair to contact IMD/ROSH and invite as visiting scientist to host institutions by CGMS in July 2013. (go to action) MitchGoldberg 01 Jul 2013 open edit
GWG_13.3 GRWG Chair to outline scope and expectations for sub-group chairs and circulate to GRWG by 1 May 2013, asking for 1-2 page proposal to chair a sub-group, outlining objectives, planning, and deliverables by 1 June 2013. (go to action) TimHewison 01 May 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.4 The GPRC members responsible for the development of new products to communicate requirements to archive data to GDWG chair during prototyping phase. (go to action) Main.GPRC 01 Dec 2014 open edit
GWG_13.5 Tim to draft the announcement of special issue and Aleksandar to send to GUMS, by 1 April 2013 (go to action) TimeHewison 01 Apr 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.6 GRWG Chair to ask for volunteer to lead the development of suitable guidelines to define Common Reference Channels, based on the analysis performed for the Spectral Band Adjustment Factors.
- This action has been combined with a task to draft a best practice to define SBAFs. [TimHewison, 2015-01-23] (go to action)
TimHewison 01 Dec 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.7 Mitch to discuss with CGMS the recommendation for future instruments to include a selection of standard channels and ask GSICS to review. (go to action) MitchGoldberg 01 Dec 2014 open edit
GWG_13.8 NASA to provide CLARREO papers to GCC for distribution on the GSICS wiki (go to action) DaveDoelling 01 Dec 2014 open edit
GWG_13.9 Rob Roebeling to consider using this high level concept to illustrate how the event logging WG could start with a simple concept acceptable for all space agencies.
- Covered by CGMS Working Paper CGMS-41 EUM-WP-06 (go to action)
Main.Roebeling 01 Dec 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.10 JMA to complete Uncertainty analysis for MTSAT-IASI products by analyzing random errors contribution from spatial and temporal variability at least and combine these with the currently analysed systematic uncertainty. That will be sufficient for promotion to pre-operational status. (go to action) Main.Masaya 01 Mar 2015 closed edit
GWG_13.11 Tim Hewison to draft proposal for a simple scoring scheme based on the uncertainty analysis for GEO-LEO IR and review this at a web meeting by 1 March 2014.
- Presented Oct 2013. Followed-up by Action GWM-13.10.1 (go to action)
TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.12 NOAA & EUMETSAT to analyse GEO-GEO difference after applying the GEO-LEO correction to quantify the diurnal calibration uncertainty before promotion to Operational status (target 1 September 2013).
- Re-assinged to M.Bali in summer 2014. (go to action)
Main.GCC 01 Sep 2014 late edit
GWG_13.13 GRWG Chair to set up web meeting to define Best Practice for Process of defining SBAF and uncertainties by 1 June 2013.
- Web meeting https://gsics.nesdis.noaa.gov/wiki/Development/20150908 (go to action)
TimHewison 01 Jun 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.14 EUMETSAT to propose solution based on modification of plotting tool and server structure and content to allow this daily results to be displayed by 1 Sept 2013. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Sep 2013 open edit
GWG_13.15 Aleksandar Jelenak to add column to GSICS Product Catalog for Visualisation with links to Bias Monitoring by 1 April 2013. (go to action) Main.GDWG 01 Apr 2013 open edit
GWG_13.16 Tim Hewison to draft example of netCDF file incorporating the delta correction to convert from MetopB /IASI to MetopA /IASI and distribute to GRWG+GDWG by 1 March 2014.
- See https://gsics.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/Development/20140324/4g_Hewison_Delta_Corrections.pptx (go to action)
TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.17 Dave Doelling to define an appropriate vocabulary to describe the level for the maturity of products based on combination of methods by 1 March 2014. (go to action) DaveDoelling 01 Mar 2014 open edit
GWG_13.18 Fred Wu to contact HIRS instrument scientist (Changyong Cao) for the question of quantifying the stability of the calibration of HIRS on previous missions and report to GRWG by 1 April. (go to action) FredWu 01 Mar 2014 open edit
GWG_13.19 GRWG Chair to invite I. Decoster to next GSICS annual meeting (GRWG Chair) to report on Spectral Aging model. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Apr 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.20 T. Chang to compare the uncertainties in summary statistics (mode, mean or median) from PDF and CPDF methods of characterizing DCC reflectance and report these at the 2nd DCC web meeting in Summer 2013. (go to action) Main.TChang 01 Apr 2014 open edit
GWG_13.21 R. Bhatt to supply 1 month of data from Meteosat-7, -9, GOES-E, -W, MTSAT and COMS by 1 May 2013?? (go to action) Main.RBhatt 01 Jun 2013 open edit
GWG_13.22 NASA Langley to share the DCC data at pixel level./exchange one month of DCC pixel level in May(NASA to provide GEO data + MODIS data to validate implementation of the DCCs to GPRCs ) (go to action) DaveDoelling 01 May 2013 open edit
GWG_13.23 Web meeting to discuss each GEO domain DCC selection criteria and PDF construction and to finalize uniform selection criteria. (go to action) Main.GSICS 01 May 2014 open edit
GWG_13.24 Byeung-Il Lee (KMA) and X. Hu (CMA) to contact D. Doelling to share the COMS and possibly FY-2F DCC data. (go to action) Main.Byeung-Il, Main.Lee, Main.(KMA) 01 May 2014 open edit
GWG_13.25 Each GPRC provides angular data available in the May web meeting and present the result to decide ADM model in another web meeting in summer; July-Nov for threshold sensitivity analysis.
- Closed at 2015 GRWG/GDWG meeting (go to action)
Main.GPRC 01 May 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.26 Ben Scarino to analyse SBAFs for each GEO imager and supply to GPRCs, together with the uncertainty due to DCC variation - due by 2nd DCC web meeting.
- Closed with presentation at web meeting of 2015-09-08: https://gsics.nesdis.noaa.gov/wiki/Development/20150908 (go to action)
BenScarino 01 Jun 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.27 EUMETSAT and CNES to liaise to exchange lunar observation data and report in March 2014. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.28 Jack Xiong to investigate possibility of comparing Moon observations from Aqua/MODIS to ROLO lunar irradiance model to provide inter-calibration reference for lunar method and report to GRWG by 1 Sept 2013.
- Reported at LunarCalibrationWorkshop (go to action)
JackXiong 01 Sep 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.29 GRWG + GDWG Chairs to solicit proposals from any GSICS member wishing to be considered as GRWG or GDWG chair by drafting a 1-2 page proposal to the Exec Panel by 1 July 2013. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Jul 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.30 All GPRCs to provide GCC with links to the official SRFs for all instruments for which GSICS Products are being developed for publication on GCC website.
- Links to SRFs from NASA/NOAA/EUMETSAT/CMA/JMA are now available on the GCC website [TimHewison, 2015-01-23]
- Transferred to GCC to coordinate, 2015-03-15 (go to action)
Main.GCC 01 Jul 2014 late edit
GWG_13.31 Fangfang to discuss with F. Weng and X. Wu the possible transfer of GCC responsibilities to WMO and report to EP in July 2013. (go to action) Main.Fangfang 01 Jul 2013 closed edit
GWG_13.32 X. Xiong to initiate draft traceability report for Aqua/MODIS and circulate to GRWG for review & contribution by 1 Sept 2013.
- Jack circulated his SPIE paper on this subject [doi: 10.1117/12.824761] (go to action)
Main.Jack 01 Sep 2013 closed edit

14. GDWG- Summary of New Actions Generated From 2013 Annual Meeting in Williamsburg, VA, USA

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GWG_13.33 NOAA to fix the extra GSICS banner image showing at the right side. (go to action) ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.34 NOAA to remove port 8080 from all the NOAA THREDDS server links. (go to action) ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.35 NOAA to add KMA GPRC website link with all the other GPRC websites. (go to action) ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 open edit
GWG_13.36 NOAA to investigate and, if possible, correct the product performance monitoring plots, which have not updated since Sep 2010.
...Updated for IR but not for MW as they have no resources to do that (go to action)
ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.37 EUMETSAT (lead) + GDWG members to work with EUMETSAT to use their bias plotting tool for GPRC product monitoring plots. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 open edit
GWG_13.38 NOAA to update the links under Documents to include all that is publicly available.
...Not clear...closed... (go to action)
ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.39 NOAA to add the link to the GSICS product catalog under “Links\xE2\x80. (go to action) ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.40 The GPRC website URL was determined to be http://giscs.nsmc.cma.gov.cn. There is a spelling mistake in the server name gisc instead of gsics. The CMA representative reported it will be corrected.
...website updated... (go to action)
AllGPRC 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.41 CMA is invited to make the modifications according to the minima content rules. (go to action) Main.CMA 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.42 CMA: The Data link on the CMA GPRC website points to a private THREDDS server (http://10.0.65.110:8080/thredds). CMA is advised not to use port 8080 but instead port 80 for this server to avoid public access problems. (go to action) Main.CMA 01 Mar 2014 open edit
GWG_13.43 CMA to remove the old GSICS logo (to the left from the NSMC logo) in the banner image of the CMA GPRC website. (go to action) Main.CMA 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.44 EUMETSAT to add the link to the WMO GSICS portal to the GSICS logo.
- Not possible! (go to action)
TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.45 EUMETSAT to add the links to other GPRC websites. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.46 EUMETSAT to add the link to the GSICS product catalog. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.47 EUMETSAT to add the link to the GCC home page. (go to action) TimHewison 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.48 JMA to correct the link to the CMA GPRC website. (go to action) Main.Masaya 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.49 KMA is encouraged to continue developing their GPRC website and take into account the agreed minimum content requirements. (go to action) Main.KMA 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.50 NOAA to develop a common catalog template which can be used to generate the initial catalog configuration file for all future new catalogs by using the work on THREDDS template catalog configuration done by EUMETSAT.
...Would be discussed later not urgent... (go to action)
ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.51 JMA to provide information on what is required to enter metadata on the GSICS product catalog in the WIS Portal GISC Tokyo.

Closed---- Masaya reported and it is not easy to do that. (go to action)

Main.JMA 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.52 GDWG to produce requirements and implement a tool for scanning GSICS THREDDS catalogs and build inventory of available data in order to regularly update the GSICS product catalog.

....Not urgent and requires lot of resources... (go to action)

Main.GDWG 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.53 NOAA and EUMETSAT to prepare a feasibility study on utilizing Datacasting feed protocol for alerting and downloading GSICS product files between the data servers. https://metacpan.org/module/dado

...Aleksandar gave a detailed presentation at last year's meeting on the setup and configuration for our GSICS data server. He didn't think there is anything else but for EUMETSAT to decide if they are interested and then take on the info. He provided and try it out. Or modify it so it work in their environment. He suggested to close this item with a follow-up that EUMETSAT notifies if they are interested to proceed.
EUMETSAT reply...no resouces.... (go to action)

ManikBali, PeterMiu 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.54 NOAA and EUMETSAT to work together to produce examples of events in XML format.

AJ...I did this for NOAA; don't know for EUMETSAT (go to action)

ManikBali, PeterMiu 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.55 All GPRC to provide examples of the events applicable to their instruments. Support NOAA and EUMETSAT work on the common list of event types.
- Input received from several GPRCs will be reported at 2014 GDWG meeting (go to action)
Main.GPRC 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.56 All GPRC are invited to keep informed of the developments of the CF convention as they relate to their GSICS data production requirements.
..Always invited.....needs to be closed... (go to action)
Main.GPRC 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.57 Aleksandar to upload the tool code into a Github repository so other GPRCs can contribute in further development.

... (go to action)

ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 closed edit
GWG_13.58 Aleksandar to inquire with Jerome whether official GSICS documents could be numbered according to the WMO identifier schema and also use WMO's ISBN issuing capability. If this is not possible, then Peter Miu (EUMETSAT) will check with his organization whether the proposed identifier schema is acceptable (go to action) ManikBali 01 Mar 2014 open edit

GCC Action Items from GSICS Annual Meet Darmstadt March 2014

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GCC_14.1 GCC to coordinate with WMO to add GSICS products catalogue to WMO OSCAR database (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.2 KMA to provide GCC with links to GEO-LEO-IR data and products for inclusion into the product catalogue. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.3 GCC to take a lead in discussing the GPPA with GSICS members to reduce the amount of time needed to move through the phases. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.4 GCC will discuss with GPRCs to prepare for the GSICS user conference 2014 to promote the GSICS products. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.5 GCC shall take a look at WMO/CGMS documents to prepare templates for GSICS documents and provide these to the GDWG for discussion. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.6 GCC shall provide a Document Management Plan (for example NOAAs) to the GDWG so that GSICS has a framework to publish documents. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.7 GCC and Tim Hewison to follow up on the support to CEOS WGCV regarding the GPPA as an example for best practises for QA4EO - after reviewing at web meeting in Summer 2014.

http://qa4eo.org/docs/case-studies/NOAA_GPPA_115890_L1_V2.pdf (go to action)

ManikBali 01 May 2015 closed edit
GCC_14.8 GCC need to identify a user for advice on preferred format for delta correction. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.9 GCC to upload the netCDF checker to the GitHub account. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.10 GCC to update Taxonomy information to the Wiki or GCC website. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GCC_14.11 GPRCs are invited to clearly nominate their member for the GPAT. The GPAT member should promptly coordinate the review of the GSICS products before operations. This information will be presented into the GCC website. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit

GRWG Action Items from GSICS Annual Meet Darmstadt March 2014
Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG_14.1 Bruce Wielicki (NASA) to investigate availability of lunar observation data from CLARREO demonstrator test flight and share these with CNES and USGS and notify CNES of future balloon flights so Pleiades observations can be synchronised.
- These data appear not to be available [Tom Stone, 2016-03-01] (go to action)
BruceWielicki 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.2 Nigel Fox to follow-up invitation for IVOS and WGCV contributors to submit articles to the GSICS Quarterly newsletter.
Done. (go to action)
NigelFox 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.3 Dave Doelling to provide EUMETSAT with DCC SBAFs for Met-8 and -10 by June 2014.
- Done at web meeting. (go to action)
DaveDoelling 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.4 Bertrand Fougnie to provide smoothed DCC BRDFs derived from PARASOL observations. (go to action) BertrandFougnie 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.5 Sebastien Wagner to share strawman netCDF file for DCC products for review at web meeting.
- Done at web meeting. (go to action)
SebastianWagner 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.6 EUMETSAT and JMA to prepare a list of requirements to participate in a lunar calibration workshop, ap plying a common version of the ROLO model and report on timing and feasibility of hosting such an event in time for workshop at a web meeting in May/June 2014.
- Done at web meeting. (go to action)
TimHewison, MasayaTakahashi 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.7 Fangfang Yu to propose what the variables should be in the NetCDF file to provide information on the calibration diurnal v ariation, and report to GRWG.
- Reassigned to ManikBali in May 2014. (go to action)
ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.8 CMA and JMA to present their analysis on GEO-GEO IR products at the next meeting.
- Presented in Delhi meeting (go to action)
Main.Scott, MainMasaya 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.9 CMA to present plans for developing inter-calibration products for GEO hyperspectral IR sounder. (go to action) Main.Scott 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.10 EUMETSAT to provide support to CMA on navigation of the MSG satellites as requested.
- Some support provided during Lin Chen's stay as Visiting Scientist at EUMETSAT. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.11 Tim Hewison to send CNES example GSICS Corrections with embedded delta corrections for further analysis.
- Done by email 2015-02-04. (go to action)
TimHewison 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.12 EUMETSAT to implement the delta corrections in GSICS products using MetOp -B/IASI.
- Done. Presented at web meeting. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.13 CNES and EUMETSAT to investigate differences in their IASI-A, -B and CrIS comparison methods and results, and report these by the next annual GRWG meeting.
- Subject of ongoing analysis, which will be included in new \x93Traceability Statement\x94. (go to action)
Main.CNES, Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.14 XingMing Liang to report the requirement from GSICS to support MICROS. (go to action) XingMingLiang 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.15 GRWG Chair to investigate the possibility to form a sub-group to develop inter-calibration products based on double diffe rence comparisons with model data (NWP/RAOB+RTM).
- it was agreed to pursue the action within the sub-groups [2016-03-01]
(go to action)
TimHewison 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.16 CMA to provide ATBD for FY-3C IR product. (go to action) Main.CMA 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.17 EUMETSAT to report the AVHRR-IASI inter-calibration work in next meeting.
- Reported by Rose Munro on 20160301 (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.18 GSICS Executive Panel Chair shall write to the GPRCs to confirm the committed availability of the proposed GSICS working group members required to complete the tasks assigned to him/her.
- Will be done through GSICS Report to CGMS. (BTW Can we even action the EP chair?)
(go to action)
PengZhang 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.19 Scott Hu (CMA) to double check that access to Webex and Google document is available from China to support GSICS activities.
- WebEx is access. But Google Drive is not. So we have switched to Microsoft OneDrive. (go to action)
Main.Scott 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.20 KMA to send products to the EUMETSAT GSICS Data and Products server until the CMA collaboration server is available.
- Duplicate of GDWG_14.9 (go to action)
Main.KMA 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.21 EUMETSAT shall provide a method to formalise this process [archiving new data sets] in an automated way (if possible).
- Closed with reference to the minutes of the 2015 EP meeting where Peter Miu provided in a presentation the reasons for not archiving rather to do Data preservation instead. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.22 All GPRCs to respond to CGMS-41: WGII/3 Action 41.22: \x93CGMS agencies to provide working papers on current and future capabil ities for calibration monitoring and event logs CGMS-42.\x94
- will be reported by Rob Roebeling at 2015 GRWG/GDWG meeting. (go to action)
Main.ALL, Main.GPRC 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.23 All GPRCs to provide satellite instrument specific links to calibration events to WMO-OSCAR.
- All GPRCs have provided Rob with links to current sensors' information [2016-02-19]. (go to action)
Main.ALL, Main.GPRC 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.24 All GPRC to seek consensus on common naming conventions for calibration events at the level of Main-Categories/Sub-Categories/Event Types.
- Duplicate of GDWG_14.11
(go to action)
Main.ALL, Main.GPRC 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.25 EUMETSAT/NOAA/NASA/JMA to define a calibration events database design, and if needed, discuss this in a future webex meeting.
- To be discussed at the 2015 GDWG meeting. This was our plan, but may be too ambitious. At least now. First issue is to agree on nomenclature, and report this is a white paper. Second issue is to adopt the common nomenclature within existing calibration events data bases. Third issue could be to work towards a common database design, and a centralized database, however, Rob foresees that this will take long and that it requires extra resources. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT, Main.NOAA, Main.NASA, Main.JMA 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.26 EUMETSAT to keep in contact with WMO on adopting OSCAR to include links to instrument events web-pages.
- Jerome presented the new design. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.27 All GPRCs to review their GSICS websites to take into account of the new developments in GSICS as these websites will be reviewed in the next joint meeting.
- Duplicate of GDWG_14.14 (go to action)
Main.ALL, Main.GPRC 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.28 IMD to update their website to provide GSICS information. This will be provided on the WMO for inclusion into their website.
- Duplicate of GDWG_14.15 (go to action)
Main.IMD 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.29 Masaya Takahashi to check for a document regarding minimum content for GPRC GSICS webpage. If this document does not exist, then he shall author one and upload it to the Wiki. (go to action) MasayaTakahashi 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.30 EUMETSAT to support the creation of a GitHub account for uploading the GSICS related codes for collaboration development.
- Closed as this is a duplicate of Action GDWG_14.16. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.31 EUMETSAT to prepare a proposal for automating the GPPA and demonstrate this in a Webex meeting. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.32 Xu Na (CMA): report at the next meeting on the work done on SRF retrieval using hyperspectral instruments.
- will present at 2017 meeting (go to action)
XuNa 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.33 EUMETSAT to share with IMD plans for reprocessing of the archive data (re-calibration)
- Viju John visited IMD in April 2016 to discuss plans and collaboration between SCOPE-CM IOGEO (and EUMETSAT) and IMD. He encouraged IMD to interact with ISRO to exchange collocation software. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.34 EUMETSAT to provide feedback at web meeting on how to handle DCC seasonality by Oct 2014.
- Presentation prepared for web meeting. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.35 EUMETSAT/NOAA/NASA/JMA to perform analysis to evaluate the optimal temporal resolution for a DCC product. GPRCs are invited to report at the next web-meeting on the DCC method. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT, Main.NOAA, Main.NASA, Main.JMA 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.36 Dave Doelling to provide all GPRCs with a survey to prepare the path forward on calibration methods (other than DCC and lunar methods). Nigel Fox will liaise with CEOS-IVOS on this topic. The outcome of the survey will be discussed at a web meeting.
- Done at web meeting. (go to action)
DaveDoelling 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.37 Lunar calibration workshop organizers to provide one page summary on how the diffusion of lunar calibration expertise is intended to be done (as an example for best practise). To be also published in the GSICS Quarterly.
- Done. (go to action)
SebastienWagner 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.38 Tim Hewison to provide a one-page summary GEO/LEO IR products for QA4EO best practices showcase. (go to action) Main.Tim, Main.Hewison 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.39 CMA to investigate hosting a joint GSICS/CEOS-IVOS workshop to promote SI traceable measurements in orbit. (go to action) Main.CMA 01 May 2015 open edit
GRWG_14.40 Rob Roebeling and Dave Doelling to communicate on possibility of collaborations on inter-calibration / re-calibration in support to SCOPE-CM activities and report.
- Reported at 2016 GRWG meeting in Item 3b. (go to action)
RobRoebelling, DaveDoelling 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_14.41 KMA to investigate the feasibility of providing GSICS with its BRDF model and report. (go to action) Main.KMA 01 May 2015 open edit
~

GDWG Action Items from GSICS Annual Meet Darmstadt March 2014

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GDWG_14.1 GDWG to investigate how many people currently use GSICS products. (go to action) ManikBali 01 May 2015 open edit
GDWG_14.2 GDWG to investigate methods to structure the order the global attributes within the netCDF file - e.g. between attributes related to the method and the application. (go to action) Main.Masaya 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.3 GDWG to investigate how to include algorithm type in filename. (go to action) Main.Masaya 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.4 IMD to search for a technical person to support the work of GDWG (go to action) Main.AKIMD 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.5 GDWG shall have a THREDDS configuration web meeting in July. (go to action) Main.Manik 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.6 GDWG shall have a DOI/OID web meeting in May/June
- Closed 2016-02-23 - No longer needed. (go to action)
SimonElliott 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.7 Scott Hu (CMA) to provide WMO and GDWG with the name of the CMA GDWG member (go to action) Main.Scott 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.8 Masaya Takahashi (JMA) to check for a document regarding minimum content for GPRC GSICS webpage. If this document does not exist, then he shall author one and upload it to the Wiki. (go to action) Main.Masaya 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.9 KMA to send products to the EUMETSAT GSICS Data and Products server until the CMA collaboration server is available. (go to action) Main.KMA 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.10 All GPRCs to provide satellite instrument specific links to calibration events to WMO-OSCAR.
- Duplicate of GRWG_14.23 (go to action)
Main.All 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.11 All GPRC to seek consensus on common naming conventions for calibration events at the level of Main-Categories/Sub-Categories/Event Types.
- Only progress on this is that we have now a calibrations task team. Within the GDWG Rob would like to discuss the way forward on this, i.e., in cooperation work on a white paper defining common naming conventions (go to action)
Main.All 01 May 2015 open edit
GDWG_14.12 EUMETSAT/NOAA/NASA/JMA to define a calibration events database design, and if needed, discuss this in a future web meeting.
- Duplicate of GRWG_14.25 (go to action)
Main/EUM/NOAA/NASA.JMA 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.13 EUMETSAT to keep in contact with WMO on adopting OSCAR to include links to instrument events web-pages.
- Duplicate of GRWG_14.26 (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_14.14 All GPRCs to review their GSICS websites to take into account of the new developments in GSICS as these websites will be reviewed in the next joint meeting. (go to action) Main.All 01 May 2015 open edit
GDWG_14.15 IMD to update their website to provide GSICS information. This will be provided on the WMO for inclusion into their website. (go to action) Main.IMD 01 May 2015 open edit
GDWG_14.16 EUMETSAT to support the creation of a GitHub account for uploading the GSICS related codes for collaboration development. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 01 May 2015 open edit

Lunar Calibration Workshop Darmstadt Dec 2014

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GLCWS_14.1 NASA and USGS to interact to process the MODIS data with the latest driver to check the agreement with the GIRO. Two methods are tested for the irradiance integration (original MODIS data as provided to USGS initially, and the processing as done for the GIRO). USGS and NASA are invited to report at the next GSICS annual meeting. (go to action) TomStone, JackXiong 18 Mar 2015 open edit
GLCWS_14.2 NASA and NOAA to interact on the VIIRS lunar data to check the result consistency and to compare their oversampling factor estimates. (go to action) JackXiong, JasonChoi 01 Dec 2015 open edit
GLCWS_14.3 EUMETSAT, NASA (VIIRS + Landsat teams) and USGS to interact and investigate the discrepancies observed in the 2.2 microns band.
Closed by email with Tom Stone 2015-02-17 (go to action)
SebastienWagner, TomStone 01 Dec 2015 closed edit
GLCWS_14.4 CNES had the possibility to do dedicated Moon acquisitions with PARASOL. CNES is invited to present the results of the analysis at a further meeting (web meeting or GSICS annual meeting). (go to action) BertrandFougnie 18 Mar 2015 open edit
GLCWS_14.5 All participants to provide lunar irradiances from the missing instruments to the common lunar calibration data set. (go to action) AllGroups 01 Dec 2015 open edit
GLCWS_14.6 EUMETSAT to circulate a draft for a data sharing and GIRO usage policy to the workshop participants. This should include the requirements for newcomers to join the community and get access to the data and the GIRO.
Closed 2015-03-04 https://gsics.nesdis.noaa.gov/wiki/Development/LunarWorkArea (go to action)
SebastienWagner 01 Dec 2015 closed edit
GLCWS_14.7 GSICS Data Working Group to identify a suitable mechanism for sharing the lunar calibration dataset. (go to action) MasayaTakahashi 01 Dec 2015 closed edit
GLCWS_14.8 All participants to report any restrictions on the use of their datasets in relation to the proposed data sharing policy. (go to action) AllGroups 18 Mar 2015 open edit
GLCWS_14.9 Establish a proposal for the way forward on a comparison of instruments with similar SRFs and phase angles. EUMETSAT will circulate a proposal to the Lunar Calibration Workshop participants by mid January.
- 2015-02-20 by email from Tim Hewison (go to action)
SebastienWagner 01 Dec 2015 closed edit
GLCWS_14.10 The GSICS Data Working Group is asked to develop a procedure for verifying users\x92 implementation of GIRO. (go to action) MasayaTakahashi 01 Dec 2015 closed edit
GLCWS_14.11 EUMETSAT should implement a systematic bias on the irradiance in the GIRO PERT.
Closed, as decided not applicable by email (go to action)
SebastienWagner 18 Mar 2015 closed edit
GLCWS_14.12 EUMETSAT should implement the proposed formulation for the calculation of the effective wavelength (see the minutes of the Lunar Calibration Workshop).
Implemented in GIRO release v1.0.0 (go to action)
SebastienWagner 18 Mar 2015 closed edit
GLCWS_14.13 EUMETSAT to revisit the change of the SRF shape in order to be more realistic.
Closed by modifying GIRO PERT. (go to action)
SebastienWagner 18 Mar 2015 closed edit

GSICS GRWG/GDWG Annual Meeting March 2015

GRWG Actions

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG_15.2 GRWG Chair to add a meeting on NWP in the agenda of the next GSICS web meetings in 2015/2016
- Closed after agreement at 2017 GRWG/GDWG meeting to not pursue this. (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.3 IMD to report on results of investigation into suitability of Rann of Kutch as a test site for INSAT-3D calibration, following ground characterisation, and share details with GSICS by email
- Closed in 2016 Agency Report (go to action)
Main.IMD 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.4 D. Jouglet to investigate the availability of POLO in SADE database and report to GSICS. (go to action) Main.CNES 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.5 KMA to present the use BJ Sohn's DCC algorithm to build a BRDF model (go to action) Main.KMA 29 Feb 2016 open edit

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG_15.7 Fred to follow up on the availability of information on Metop/AVHRR instruments, for which NOAA is responsible- AI closed [Dave email to Fangfang (11May 2015 )We were able to process the Metop-B AVHRR data now. Thanks for all the relevant Metop-B nominal AVHRR information see link provided by Haifeng Qian]You can close the action item Regards Dave. (go to action) FredWu 29 Feb 2016 closed edit

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG_15.8 Tim to put Pradeep in touch with 3G activity to assess uncertainties in RAOB-Sat
- Closed by email 2015-07-02. (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.9 JAXA to correspond with Microwave Sub-Group to consider whether GSICS products could/should be generated for active instruments such as DPR. (go to action) Main.JAXA 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.10 KMA to clarify during the discussion on lunar data policy the position of KMA wrt to their data (already closed). (go to action) Main.KMA 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.11 EUMETSAT to circulate report on investigation of the impact of the GSICS correction on atmospheric motion vector winds and other products. - Closed by email 2016-02-26 (go to action) TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.12 NOAA to report on plans to incorporate GOES-R/ABI in ICVS. (go to action) FredWu 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.13 NOAA to provide their GEO-LEO IR algorithm code to IMD. (go to action) FredWu 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.14 Dave to investigate the use of MIIC to generate DCC data for near-real-time processing of DCC using VIIRS. (go to action) DaveDoelling 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.15 Dave to investigate potential to transfer this technology to other data centres. (go to action) DaveDoelling 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.16 Jerome to draft proposal on terminology for GSICS deliverables based on this discussion and circulate for review before Exec Panel, then the User Workshop.
- Closed in EP and GUW 2015 meetings (go to action)
JeromeLafeuille 01 May 2015 closed edit
GRWG_15.17 Rob to propose new terminology, based on the term "homogenised" or "MODIS (or whatever)-equivalent.
- Rob prepared a report on terminology alignment with other activities e.g. FIDUCEO, which was persented at 2016 GRWG/GDWG meeting
(go to action)
RobRobelling 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.18 EUMETSAT to circulate Rob's review of FCDR inter-calibration requirements to GRWG/GDWG, identifying which type of inter-calibration product could meet each of these.
- Example user applications should be reviewed to identify which GSICS products can meet them (if any)
- Could be closed if covered by User Guide (Flowchart) to select GSICS products (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.19 A. K. Sharma to interact with GDWG to provide INSAT-3D SRFs. (go to action) Main.AKSharma 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG_15.20 EUMETSAT to interact with KNMI to see if they could process the SCIAMACHY data to have the SBAFs for the last two bands (beyond 1900nm). NASA is ready to provide the code.
- Closed by email to SRON and NASA 2016-02-19. (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.21 KMA to deliver their RTM DCC BRDF model. (go to action) Main.KMA 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.22 Jack Xiong (NASA) to deliver the MODIS spectral response to the GSICS wiki
- Closed 2016-03-01 (go to action)
JackXiong 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.23 Sebastien Wagner (EUMETSAT) to deliver the Wehrli solar spectrum to the GSICS wiki
- https://gsics.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/Development/LunarWorkArea/GIRO_ROLO_solspectr.h (go to action)
SebastienWagner 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.24 Fred to implement Sebastien's deseasonalisation method and compare with Fangfang's and report back
- Closed 2016-03-01 (go to action)
FredWu 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.25 NASA to consider providing centralised processing of MODIS DCC data (go to action) Main.NASA 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.26 Sebastien Wagner (EUMETSAT) to present at a further web meeting on DCC the extracted time series for the NIR16 channel. (go to action) SebastienWagner 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.27 Lin Chen and Sebastien Wagner to circulate statistics of mode/mean/median for review by email. (go to action) SebastienWagner 29 Feb 2016 open edit

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG_15.29 Tim Hewison to propose the approach of issuing frequent GSICS corrections to the Exec Panel and Users Workshop.
- Completed at Users Workshop (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GRWG_15.31 Sebastien Wagner to circulate these revised proposed policies for approval by Lunar Calibration Community within 1 month by 1 June 2015. (go to action) SebastienWagner 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.32 Sebastien Wagner to organise a web meeting to close the discussion on the GIRO + GLOD policy, seeking attendees' agreement by 1 June 2015
- Closed as not needed. (go to action)
SebastienWagner 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.33 Dave Doelling to ask Constantine Lukashin to participate in meeting on lunar inter-calibration accounting for spectral differences. (go to action) DaveDoelling 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.34 Dave Doelling to check availability of lunar observations in the Hyperion dataset by 1 April 2015. (go to action) DaveDoelling 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.35 Jack Xiong and Dave Doelling to report plans to investigate the double difference between MODIS and VIIRS lunar observations in preparation to transfer the calibration reference and at web meeting. (go to action) JackXiong 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.36 Dave Doelling to investigate whether CLARREO could fund dedicated observation campaigns to tie lunar irradiance models to an absolute SI-traceable scale. (go to action) DaveDoelling 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.37 Sebastien Wagner to circulate survey on participation in the planned activities to develop lunar inter-calibration to members of lunar calibration community. (go to action) SebastienWagner 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.38 Sebastien Wagner to organize a web meeting to report on the progress made on inter-calibration using the Moon (between October and December 2015).
- Will be followed up in 2nd lunar calibration workshop (go to action)
SebastienWagner 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.39 NOAA to update the product user guide for GOES-IASI products to inform about the range of diurnal applicability (go to action) FredWu 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.41 EUMETSAT to update the GEO-LEO IR ATBD and operational implementation to inflate the coefficient uncertainties to obtain consistency with time series estimates of the random component.
- Done 2015-04 (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.42 KMA to investigate the possibility to extract the data before the MBCC is applied, and in collaboration with NOAA to assess the impact of MBCC on the data. KMA to report back at the next GSICS annual meeting. (go to action) Main.KMA 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.43 ISRO to explore NOAA MBCC more into detail and to apply it. ISRO to report back at the next GSICS annual meeting. (go to action) Main.ISRO 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.44 ISRO to report back on their investigations on SRF retrieval. (go to action) Main.ISRO 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.45 CMA to report back on their investigations on SRF retrieval. (go to action) Main.CMA 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.46 EUMETSAT (Rob Roebeling) to report on the progress in FIDUCEO regarding SRF retrievals using AIRS data with input from John Mittaz.
- Included in Rob's presentation at 2016 Mini Conference Item 1e. (go to action)
RobRoebelling 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.47 JMA to investigate and provide a report on the uncertainty analysis to support progress to Pre-Operational mode. (go to action) MasayaTakahashi 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.48 Tim to ask ECMWF for double differencing of geostationary ring.
- Emailed Tony McNally 2016-01-11, who acknowledged that ECMWF can provide O-B statistics from the overlap areas of the GEO imagers they process. (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.49 IMD/ISRO to contact the IMD NWP and NCMRWF about double differencing of geostationary ring. (go to action) Main.IMD, Main.ISRO 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.50 Tim to conduct a survey to identify a date among GPRC so that they produce the GSICS corrections for that date and provide them to Dave.
- Reported on 20160302 (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.51 Dave to report on the analysis of GEO-GEO double-differences. (go to action) DaveDoelling 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.52 Tim to provide SBAF tool to support the analysis of GEO-GEO double-differences (go to action) TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.53 NASA-MODIS (Jack) to consider investigating alternative regression algorithms in radiance instead of Tb and report at next GRWG annual meeting
- Closed 2016-03-01 (go to action)
JackXiong 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.54 CMA to report on generalising regression in GEO-LEO IR products to include polynomial terms and report by next GRWG meeting (go to action) Main.Scott 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.55 NOAA to investigate inter-channel calibration with IASI. (go to action) FredWu 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.56 GRWG Chair to coordinate review by all GPRCs of requirements for inter-calibration references for GEO-LEO IR products. (go to action) TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.57 Denis Jouglet to review capabilities of IASI and AIRS and CrIS to meet these requirements. (go to action) Main.CNES 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.58 Fred to invite Pagano and Yong Han to join this review as relevant instrument experts
- Closed 2016-03-01 (go to action)
FredWu 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.59 Dave to investigate how to share the existing data set for MODIS 0.6\xB5m band (2002-end of 2009) with the GRWG.
- Closed 2016-03-01 (go to action)
DaveDoelling 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.60 Larry Flynn (NOAA) to consider mechanisms to provide delayed CrIS data for FY-2 inter-calibration (go to action) LarryFlynn 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.61 Rob to propose the maximum frequency on the update requirement for non-routine events
- Common sense to be applied. Typically past missions reported ~10 events per year. (go to action)
RobRoebelling 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.62 Manik to interact with Jerome to push forward the development of the expert system as a tool to select inter-calibration reference instruments
- Closed 2016-03-01 (go to action)
ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_15.63 Tim to provide to Manik a list of parameters from his scoring proposal to include them into the expert system. (go to action) TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_15.64 Tim to cooperate with the GDWG to develop a version control document.
- Completed by email in Feb 2016: Implemented in User Guide by EUMETSAT. GDWG chair will add clarifications to explain case of bug fixes. (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
GRWG_06.08 Action about desert ATBD should be kept open as it is still of interest. De-prioritised. Fred Wu will follow up on this Action Modified in 2015:GCC to check the available info (Masaya mentioned that the info was communicated to Fangfang some years ago). GCC should forward the available info to Jerome. (go to action) TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GRWG_06.17 (identify time overlaps between geostationary satellites): Tim proposed to nominate a member of the GRWG to coordinate this action.
Action Modified in 2015: Jerome will support this action through OSCAR.
- This action was transferred on 2016-01-13 to GDWG, who will coordinate it. (go to action)
TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 closed edit
EP_GRWG_16.08 GRWG to review the calibration issues in the draft input to the WMO Vision of WIGOS space-based observing system in 2040 and report to the EP. (go to action) TimHewison 31 Oct 2015 open edit
EP_GRWG_16.09 The GRWG Chair (or EP Chair ?) to invite the CEOS WGCV to work on a joint statement on procedures, best practices and calibration resources required to ensure consistency of data records through accurate and homogeneous calibration, as an input to the Architecture for Climate Monitoring from Space. (go to action) TimHewison 31 Jul 2015 open edit
EP_GRWG_16.10 All satellite operators to evaluate their requirements for GSICS resources, products and services to serve the needs of their internal users (for NRT products or climate applications such as SCOPE-CM projects): identify application areas, draft requirement indicating the characteristics of the product needed, quality criteria and delivery mode.
- Transferred from TimHewison to GCC and linked to action GWG.2016.7b.1 [2016-03-11] (go to action)
Main.GCC 31 Jan 2016 open edit

GDWG Actions

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GDWG_2015.4a1 ISRO to provide GPRC web pages to GDWG co-chairs for review. (go to action) Main.ISRO 30 Apr 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4a2 EUMETSAT to support the review of all GPRC for minimum content and provide suggestions for updates. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 30 Jun 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4a3 ISRO to support GCC to provide a satellites constellation image for the GCC website. (go to action) Main.ISRO   open edit
GDWG_2015.4a4 WMO to update JMA GPRC website URL on the WMO portal. (go to action) Main.WMO 31 Mar 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4a5 KMA to add hyperlinks to the GCC, product catalogue, and THREDDS servers. (go to action) Main.KMA 30 Apr 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4a6 KMA to modify a hyperlink to CMA GPRC website. (go to action) Main.KMA 31 Mar 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4a7 WMO to contact current ISRO EP member to provide updates to their GSICS members. (go to action) Main.WMO 31 Mar 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4b IMD are kindly requested to provide ISRO LocationIndicator and sub centre indicator for updating the Manual on Codes document (common codes Table C-12, note CCCC code is DEMS) prior to the development of their productions identified by a WMO filename where this information is required. Note, some time is needed to publish such updates. (go to action) Main.IMD 30 Apr 2015 open edit
GDWG_2015.4c1 The GRWG need to examine the aspects to be revalidated and confirm they have no major impact. (ref: changing the existing GEOLEOIR variables to combined versions).
- Agreed by email that we do not need to change the netCDF variables for now. So we will review the situation if any GPRC starts to generate GSICS corrections with non-linear terms. (go to action)
Main/EUM.JMA 31 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4c2 Update the GEOLEOIR GSICS product template on the Wiki. (go to action) Main.JMA 31 Jul 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4c3 Update the Wiki to include the accurate timing information as an optional comment attribute of the validity_period in their products. (go to action) Main.JMA 31 Jul 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4c4 JMA to provide list of new GEOLEOIR global attributes to GDWG members and member should provide input within 1 week on the proposed updates (go to action) Main.JMA 31 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4d Identify if using the enhanced data model has impact to the usage of the new products. (go to action) Main/EUM.JMA 31 Jul 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4f NOAA to provide templates of proposed WMO file name and the content of the MW GSICS product on the GSICS wiki (go to action) Main.NOAA 30 Jun 2015 open edit
GDWG_2015.4h1 all GPRC to report what version controlling software is used and propose possible software to be used in the GSICS activities. (go to action) Main.KMA 30 Apr 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4i EUMETSAT to provide estimate the resources needed and the expectations for when the updates will be implemented, and present these to the GDWG and EP to request for resources. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 31 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4j CMA to discuss with CMA GPRC members on the usefulness of GSICS products in database. (go to action) Main.CMA 31 Dec 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4l1 IMD and ISRO to nominate a representative that is part of the calibration events task team (CGMS-42: WGII/3 Action 42.02). (go to action) Main/IMD.ISRO 30 Apr 2015 open edit
GDWG_2015.4l2 EUMETSAT and JMA to provide templates of landing page to GDWG (or GSICS wiki). (go to action) Main/EUM.JMA 30 Apr 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.4l3 EUMETSAT to write a white paper on the standard nomenclature for calibration logging and monitoring. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT   open edit
GDWG_2015.6a1 JMA GRWG to provide the list of existing SRF data sets to be stored. GPRC responsible for these data sets shall provide them to GDWG co-chair as soon as possible. (go to action) Main.JMA 31 Jul 2015 open edit
GDWG_2015.6a2 JMA to provide the netCDF template to GDWG co-chair for these SRF files. (go to action) Main.JMA 30 Apr 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6a3 EUMETSAT to support the generation of the existing SRF files into the netCDF format.
- Closed during visit from M. Takahashi in 2016. (go to action)
Main.EUMETSAT 31 Dec 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6a5 The GEOLEOVISNIR or LEOLEOVISNIR shall include an optional global attribute referencing the location of the associated SRF netCDF file. (go to action) Main/EUM.JMA 01 Mar 2016 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6a6 EUMETSAT to investigate how THREDDS can be used to limit access to these data sets. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 30 Jun 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6b1 GDWG co-chair to support GRWG to implement the recommendations for sharing work in a Data Managed way. (go to action) Main/EUM.JMA 30 Apr 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6b2 EUMETSAT to provide requirements and design for the netCDF GSICS product checker. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 30 Jun 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6b3 CMA, IMD, JMA and KMA to collaborate in the implementation of the netCDF GSICS product checker. (go to action) Main/CM/IMD/JMA.KMA 31 Dec 2015 open edit
GDWG_2015.6c1 CMA to check the proposed new THREDDS server's directory structure with their GRWG member if the new structure fits the needs of CMA. (go to action) Main.CMA 30 Apr 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6c2 EUMETSAT to take the lead in performing these updates and provide these to the administrators of the other collaboration servers. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 30 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6d1 CMA to investigate if their GSICS source data download tool can be used to perform the transfer of GSICS products between the collaboration servers support the mirroring of the products can be achieved. (go to action) Main.CMA 31 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6d2 NOAA to investigate the mirroring of EUMETSAT products on the NOAA server. (go to action) Main.NOAA 31 Dec 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.6f WMO and GPRCs to provide the GCC with examples of document management procedures including templates to support the creation of GSICS branding documentation templates. (go to action) Main.All 31 Dec 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.8a EUMETSAT to provide a harmonised action identifier for the working groups and the EP. (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 31 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.9b1 Sebastien Wagner (GRWG) needs to iterate with Peter Miu on what to put in place to share the GIRO code and the GLOD (GSICS Lunar Observation Dataset). (go to action) Main.EUMETSAT 31 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.9b2 GDWG will come with a proposal on how to number the actions. The action tracking tool should include the actions coming from the web meetings. (go to action) Main/EUM.JMA 31 May 2015 closed edit
GDWG_2015.9b3 Alternatives to the current action tracking tool should be discussed at further stage (web meeting). (go to action) Main/EUM.JMA 31 May 2015 closed edit

GCC 2015 Actions

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GCC_15.1 GCC takes this feedback on-board and will propose an approach more like conference papers. (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.2 GCC to support the revising of the GSICS versioning and update the Wiki (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.3 GCC to check the availability to provide administration role on gitHub (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.4 GCC to update the Instrument Info Kisok with the SRF netCDF files provided by EUMETSAT (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.5 GCC (Manik Bali) to write a prototype guide to product selection as part of GSICS Product Guide and circulate for review by 2015 GUW (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.6 GCC to prepare policy on GSICS data and code use and sharing based on Lunar Data Policy as a draft for by 2015 GUW (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.7 Transfer responsibility to GCC to coordinate All GPRCs to provide GCC with links to the official SRFs for all instruments for which GSICS Products are being developed for publication on GCC website. (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.8 GCC to review these FCDR inter-calibration requirements, in the framework of the GSICS User Product Guidance, to identify common inter-calibration types, which are not specialised to specific applications, and report to GRWG. These could be considered as potential future GSICS products. (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.9 GCC to add link from SRF page on GSICS Wiki to NASA's SRF plotting page, where these can be visualised. (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.10 GCC to introduce one reviewer for JMA GEO-LEO IR products. (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.11 GCC to guide GPAT to encourage reference to existing uncertainty analysis for similar products to facilitate requirement for analysis or product uncertainties. (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GCC_15.12 GCC (Manik) to provide feedback on the user guide (GEO-LEO IR product) (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
EP-16.01 GCC to recall in the GSICS Quarterly the disclaimer and the ownership clause applying to GSICS products and other deliverables. (go to action) ManikBali 31 Jan 2016 open edit
EP-16.01 GCC to recall in the GSICS Quarterly the disclaimer and the ownership clause applying to GSICS products and other deliverables. (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
EP-16.04 WMO to communicate the GSICS Function and Organization document, after finalization and approval, to the WIGOS Project Office for consideration by the Inter-Commission Coordination Group on WIGOS (ICG-WIGOS) (go to action) ManikBali 31 Jan 2016 open edit
EP-16.05 GCC and WMO, in consultation with GRWG and GDWG, to complete a draft GSICS User Guide, for consideration by EP-17 (EP-17) (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
EP-16.06 GCC to finalize the high-level categorization of GSICS holdings and deliverables, ensuring that actual or planned products can be mapped to these categories, indicating a target audience and proposing appropriate review/acceptance mechanisms for each category (EP-17) (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
EP-16.11 GCC and GRWG Chair to organize a discussion on user requirements in the context of the 2015 GSICS User Workshop (Toulouse, 22 September 2015) (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit
EP-16.12 GCC (?) to analyse, in consultation with GCOS/AOPC, the implications of GCOS observation needs on GSICS products. (January 2016?) (go to action) ManikBali 29 Feb 2016 open edit

ACTIONS FROM CGMS-43

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
GSICS_15.1 G.2 A43.16 GSICS to work with CEOS/WGCV to:
Describe the processes to be followed to ensure consistent calibration meeting climate requirements
Describe the required infrastructure (space-based and surface-based) supporting these processes
Review the analysis of calibration-related tasks in the logical analysis of the Architecture (with a view to provide a joint input to the Architecture for Climate Monitoring from Space) and report to CGMS-44 (go to action)
TimHewison, KenHolmlund 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GSICS_15.2 WGII/3 A43.03 GSICS to document and implement its approach to manage changes in reference instruments (go to action) TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 open edit
GSICS_15.3 WGII/3 A43.01 GSICS to establish the requirements for absolute lunar calibration and prepare a white paper describing the tentative way to meet those requirements in case they go beyond those lunar calibration capabilities. (go to action) TimHewison 29 Feb 2016 open edit

Actions on WMO

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
WMO_15.1 Jerome to draft proposal on terminology for GSICS deliverables based on this discussion and circulate for review before Exec Panel, then the User Workshop (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 29 Feb 2016 open edit
WMO_15.2 Jerome to circulate a draft GSICS Functional Architecture, which could serve as an input to the future WIGOS Functional Architecture document. (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 29 Feb 2016 open edit
WMO_15.3 Jerome to provide the GCC with a draft structure of what is expected for a Guide to GSICS, which could be ultimately integrated in a future Guide to WIGOS. (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 29 Feb 2016 open edit
WMO_15.4 WMO and GPRCs to provide the GCC with examples of document management procedures including templates to support the creation of GSICS branding documentation templates. (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 31 Dec 2015 open edit

Action Ref. Description Assigned to Due date State  
EP_WMO_16.02 WMO (J. Lafeuille) to publish the updated version of the GSICS Vision. (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 31 Dec 2015 open edit
EP_WMO_16.03 WMO to revise the draft GSICS Functions and Organization document as recommended by EP-16 and submit it to the EP for approval (30 Nov 2015). (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 31 Dec 2015 open edit
EP_WMO_16.04 WMO to communicate the GSICS Function and Organization document, after finalization and approval, to the WIGOS Project Office for consideration by the Inter-Commission Coordination Group on WIGOS (ICG-WIGOS) (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 31 Jan 2016 open edit
EP_WMO_16.07 The EP Chair or Vice-chair to bring the considerations on GSICS and climate monitoring to the attention of CGMS (Completed at CGMS-43). (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 31 Jan 2016 open edit
EP_WMO_16.14 WMO to publish the updated Terms of Reference (go to action) JeromeLafeuille 30 Jun 2015 open edit

<a name="annual2016cgmswmo" > </a>

GSICS Annual Meeting Tsukuba, Japan 2016
Topic revision: r111 - 21 Mar 2017, TimHewison
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding GSICS Wiki? Send feedback