GRWG Microwave Sub-Group Web Meeting 2015-05-13
GSICS Web Meeting on MW SubGroup
1. Introduction, review of any old action items - Ralph (10 min) MW-SubGroup-13May2015.pdf
2. Updates from the Annual GRWG/GDWG Meeting Tim (10 min)
3. Science Report GMI Calibration
Rachel (15 min)
4. Preparation for GSICS Users Meeting - All (10 min)
5. Next Meeting and Wrap Up (5 min)
Chair: Ralph Ferraro
CMA: Shengli Wu
CSSAR: Xiaolong Dong (CEOS-WGCV Microwave Sub-Group Chair)
EUMETSAT: Tim Hewison, Vinia Mattioli, Karsten Fenning (at DWD), Sabatino Di Michele
JAXA: Keiji Imaoko
KMA: Jun Park, Hyesook Lee
NASA: Rachael Kroodsma
NIST: David Walker,
NOAA: Manik Bali, Wenze Yang,Cheng-Zhi Zou
General Agenda Items
- Ralph reported he was unsuccessful in tracking down retired NASA colleagues who might have access to original L1 SMMR data.
- Karsten Fennig reported the CMSAF's FCDR for SSM/Is is now published. However, although it would be possible to extract the inter-calibration coefficients, without performing the previous steps, these are not directly applicable to GSICS users - they cannot "plug and play" into other L1 processing algorithms. The question of user requirements for the FCDRs was defered to a discussion on that topic.
- Tim noted no progress to report on action to Gu/CMA regarding calibration of MWRI with other sensors
- Cheng-Zhi and Xialong reported excellent progress on developing a joint meeting of Microwave Sub-Groups of GSICS and CEOS-WGCV to be hosted in Beijing. Probable duration : 2 days. It was suggested that a date in March 2016 might be attractive to allow for potential synergy with dates of GRWG/GDWG annual meeting, which could take place in Japan around mid March 2016.
- Manik provided detailed discussion on potential GDWG MW products and standards
- Manik described his productive visit to CAOS/IISc; they are very interested in MW and learning more about GSICS activities. Encouraged visit by Ralph and also hosting a regional GSICS workshop.
- Keiji and Xiaolong discussed potential role of GSICS into active MW sensors. It was noted that initially, just collaborative efforts amongst members focusing on cloud and precipitation radars is a good starting point.
- Tim gave a brief update from the CEOS WGCV Plenary meeting and noted role of GSICS within CGMS and CEOS
- Tim provided some information regarding EUMETSAT FIDUCEO project - developing FCDR for SSMT/2, AMSU-B, MHS
- Rachel presented latest results from GMI calibration and future plans by GPM (reprocessing using latest intercalibration in September).
- Tim presented draft agenda for the GSICS User's Workshop to be held within the EUMETSAT Satellite Conference (Sept. 22 in Toulouse). It would be nice to get some beta-data users enlisted for our products.
- MWSG and GRWG Chairs to coordinate the dates for meetings in 2016, along with Cheng-Zhi/Xiaolong(CEOS) and Keiji/Masaya (JAXA/JMA)
- MW subgroup to continue to flesh out GSICS MW products through engagement with users (suggested venues - GSICS Users workshop; scientific venue of opportunity, etc.). Manik/Tim to lead these activities.
- Ralph to follow up with Manik regarding future visit/interaction with IISc.
- Rachel/Ralph to engage X-Cal (next meeting June 4-5, Ft. Collins, CO, USA) - Ralph to contact Tom Wilheit about potential remote presentation on GSICS activities.
- Ralph to organize next telecon for early September 2015.